Effects of Weight Bias
Effects of Weight Bias on Your…
- Low self-esteem
- Poor body image
- Unhealthy weight control practices
- Avoidance of physical activity
Weight Bias Can Also Have Harmful Effects on Your…
In the workplace, bias can mean:
- Lower pay
- Fewer promotions
- Fewer job prospects
Weight bias is extremely common in healthcare and can result in:
- Lower-quality care
- Delayed medical appointments
- Inappropriately sized medical equipment
Students affected by obesity are often seen as lazy and less likely to succeed in school, which can result in:
- Exclusion from social activities
- Poor mental and physical health
What can I do to #StopWeightBias?
1. Ask yourself if you hold negative opinions about people with excess weight. If so, remember obesity is a complex disease with multiple causes including genetic, biological, and other noncontrollable factors.
2. Challenge people who express negative opinions about people with excess weight.
3. Be Part of the Solution. With your help, we can build a better world, free of weight bias. We deserve a world where everyone is treated with dignity and respect.
Join the movement to Stop Weight Bias!
Click Here to Get Started!